"I'm very happy to get the win," OU head coach David Mullins said. "That's the first time this year that we've won the match after losing the doubles. We've been talking about these things a lot and it's nice to get that monkey off our back. They believe now they can win matches like this without the doubles point."
Oklahoma (10-6, 3-2) was swept in doubles play to open up the match. The Sooners fought back and took four matches in singles play to mark OU's first victory after losing the doubles point.
Entering the match Oklahoma's six losses occurred after losing the doubles point and all nine wins came with a victory in doubles.
"They believe now they can win matches like this without the doubles point," Mullins said.
In singles play, No. 79 Hermon Brhane quickly defeated No. 60 Malika Rose at the No. 1 spot, 6-1, 7-5.
Whitney Wofford gave Oklahoma its second point after a victory at the No. 4 position against Maria Alvarez, 6-3, 6-1.
After dropping the first set to Meghan Blevins, 4-6, Whitney Ritchie came back to win, 4-6, 6-4, 6-3. Ritchie is currently on a three game win streak in singles.
Emma Devine and Abbi Melrose were defeated on court six and five, respectively, to give the Cowgirls their final two points of the match.
"We had a chance there to sweep (in singles)." Mullins added. "We had match points with Emma and we were in the third set with Abbi. To be in position to win six singles is what I'm most happy about."
The Sooners are back on the road next week to face Iowa State in Ames, Iowa Friday, April 5, at 3 p.m.
Follow @OUWomensTennis on Twitter and like Oklahoma Women's Tennis on Facebook for more information on the women's tennis program.
No. 39 Oklahoma 4, No. 25 Oklahoma State 3
1. No. 48 Malika Rose/Kanyapat Narattana (OSU) def. No. 15 Whitney Ritchie/Hermon Brhane (OU), 8-6
2. Meghan Blevins/Karyn Guttormsen (OSU) def. Emma Devine/Whitney Wofford (OU), 8-4
3. C.C. Sardinha/Maria Alvarez (OSU) def. Mia Lancaster/Abbi Melrose (OU), 8-3
1. No. 79 Hermon Brhane (OU) def. No. 60 Malika Rose (OSU), 6-1, 7-5
2. Whitney Ritchie (OU) def. Meghan Blevins (OSU), 4-6, 6-4, 6-3
3. Mia Lancaster (OU) def. C.C. Sardinha (OSU), 5-7, 6-4, 6-3
4. Whitney Wofford (OU) def. Maria Alvarez (OSU), 6-3, 6-1
5. Kanyapat Narattana (OSU) def. Abbi Melrose (OU), 6-4, 4-6, 6-4
6. Karyn Guttormsen (OSU) def. Emma Devine (OU), 2-6, 6-2, 7-6
Order of Finish:
Doubles: 3, 2, 1
Singles: 1, 4, 2, 3, 6, 5